CEO of The Bra Recyclers, LLC, Elaine Birks-Mitchell founded the for-profit company on the premise that if you see a problem you can ignore it and hope someone solves it, or you can do something about it yourself. ‘The fact that 95% of textiles, worn or torn, can be recycled but only 15% are actually recycled’, was seen by The Bra Recyclers as an opportunity to engage socially and environmentally conscious companies and individuals to understand the positive impacts recycling can have on families around the world.
A simple lingerie staple, like a bra, is prized by women and girls whose voices and choices have been muted by controlled and uncontrolled circumstances (e.g., cancer, domestic violence, human trafficking, natural disasters). Many individuals in communities around the world don’t realize they can recycle used and unused textiles, like bras. 8 out of 10 women wear the wrong-sized bra, which means there are thousand upon thousands of bras that can be reused and/or recycled to help women and girls in transition.
The Bra Recyclers invites and challenges you to join thousands of socially and environmentally conscious recyclers around the world who decided to ‘DO SOMETHING’ to help families in transition while also reducing the amount of reusable textiles that unnecessarily go to our landfills. Recycling is simple to do but the impact can monumental in the lives of people who lack basic items, like a bra, that we take for granted.
The Bra Recyclers also accepts:
- Prosthesis and other breast forms
- Mastectomy Bras
- Post Surgery Camisoles
- Nursing Bras & Camisoles
- Sports Bras
- Only new panties
Click to read about the impacts of recycling and how we're reshaping lives.
The Bra Recyclers has defined core values that drive our culture, values and how we think and run our business. Our values are built around the B.R.A.V.O Principle:
- We believe that the more you give the more you receive. Our success is not just driven by revenue, but by the impact we make in the lives of families in our communities.
- We advance environmental stewardship by incorporating recycling on purpose, in our business and personal lives.
- We are advocates for increasing awareness for bras recycling and its impact on communities around the world.
- We believe that everyone has a voice that deserves to be heard. We value the diverse experiences of everyone who has or will be impacted by bra recycling.
- We create opportunities for bras to have a lasting impact on the lives of women and girls in our communities.
*Source: Secondary Materials and Recycled Textiles Association (SMART)
The Bra Recyclers is not a 501c3 organization. We are a for-profit textile recycling company. We support non-profit organizations by providing them with bras and other lingerie.